Thursday, January 31, 2013

exactly the thing

I turned 22 and I moved somewhere else that I had only visited once. I moved a week after my visit. It seemed like the right thing to do.

I don't mind the cold because it's so warm inside. Inside there are lovely, glowing faces and wet boots at the door and this kind of ongoing lullaby of laughter in the background. Inside there are long sleeves and long stories of a colorful cast of characters who started somewhere else; who found themselves moving without much thought or reason besides that it seemed like the right thing to do.

I don't mind the cold because every day is filled with noses and eyes and mouths I've never seen before, with bustling people I've never met, with quiet places I've never been. And I don't mind the cold because there is always more than just a chill in the air, there's excitement and curiosity and so much fear, and when so much becomes too much I go inside where it's warm and I know with everything in me that moving somewhere without much thought or reason was exactly the thing to do at 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment