Thursday, June 14, 2012

iron and wine

 
Sometimes when I listen to Iron and Wine I think I am here. Sometimes I can't believe how good Iron and Wine is. Samuel Beam is brilliant in the most subtle way, a humble artist who never ceases to amaze me with album titles like "Our Endless Numbered Days" and clever lyrics that say "We all assume the worst the best we can." Thoughtful and sincere, Iron and Wine changes everything, and makes an evening alone a pensive experience, or a drive by the coast contemplative and serene. "Sunset Soon Forgotten," "Passing Afternoon," "Belated Promise Ring," "Each Coming Night," "Flightless Bird, American Mouth," "God Made the Automobile," "Naked As We Came," "The Trapeze Swinger," and "Sodom South Georgia" are all gems. All of them. I don't care what you haters say about being put to sleep, or about being bored by the songs' interconnectedness. If you think that any of those songs are boring, listen carefully, and if you are put to sleep, drink a cup of coffee damnit.

No comments:

Post a Comment