Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nicole

Nicole I know you are going to hate me for flattering you publicly like this but it has to be done and I'm sorry.

I try to avoid using cliches in my writing because I think they are corny and insincere, but Nicole is one of those people who really is beautiful on the inside and on the outside. I remember being struck by how stunning she was when I first met her freshman year, and after spending a mere twenty minutes around her, she seemed shy and maybe even a little stuck up...so I decided I would probably not like this girl Nicole very much.

My first impression could not have been any further from the truth. As I grew closer to Nicole, it became obvious that Nicole is one of those people who has absolutely no idea how gorgeous she is, no matter how many times we tell her or how many heads turned every time we walked into a club in Spain. When you first meet her, she is somewhat quiet and low key, which I initially mistook for conceited and rude. Looking back I find it hilarious that I was so wrong...Nicole is such a humble, incredible person to her very core, and is intelligent and funny and extremely genuine in everything she does.

Suffice it to say, I admire Nicole for a lot of things. First, I admire her for pursuing the things that she loves. She has a great eye for interior decorating, and has done a lot of really neat stuff around her cute beach house to spice it up a bit. She also has a keen awareness for what to/what not to wear, which especially came in handy when we were living together Sophomore year. Which takes me to my next point; I admire Nicole for her gentleness. Instead of saying, "Are you serious!? You can't wear that! That's terrible!" Nicole would  give me one of those half smiles and say, "Hey Nads I think I have something that might work better." She is gentle in everything she does, and I have never seen her raise her voice or get upset, even when Keke burned down our microwave, or when I accidentally ate cookies that were meant for Chris.

The thing that I find Nicole most admirable for is her self-awareness. She knows exactly who she is and acknowledges that she is by no means perfect. We always have great chats laughing about how sometimes we wish we were a little bit more involved in certain things, or that sometimes our heads are just a little too far up in the clouds. She is one of my best friends and someone who I cherish seeing everyday, and Nicole has been there for me in more ways than I could ever explain. We have had some of the best talks about blogs and fashion and getting your own .com website before someone else takes it, but more importantly, Nicole has taught me about love and life and loyalty and friendship.

I will never forget how easy it was for Nicole and I to blow away hours and hours at the Faborit coffee shop in Madrid, talking endlessly about our future and where we are going to be in our lives years from now. As I stared at the swirls on the top of my coffee I remember that blissful feeling taking over me; the one that only good coffee and an even better friend can bring. And although we have no idea what our futures hold, I am certain that somewhere in the world, I will have unforgettable chats about life with Nicole in a coffee shop.

1 comment:

  1. These are so sweet. What amazing inspiration for a blog!

    ReplyDelete