Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Paris, my Cherie Amour

"Cherished love," in case you're wondering. It fits so perfectly. Paris is a lot of things, it's lovely and charming, it's quaint but crowded, it's fast-paced and at times, slow moving. But more than anything, Paris is my cherished love. Alongside my cat Meow Meow.

The first day we spent in Paris was my favorite, because the entire day I felt like I was in a fairly tale. Paris absolutely enchanted me. 

 And so it begins...

Following the advice of a friend who is studying abroad there, Jordan and I went to a bakery for breakfast and I ordered a chocolate croissant. Needless to say, we went back there every morning and I ordered the same chocolate croissant for four days in a row. One day I had two. They were to die for. 

Without even realizing how lucky we were that it wasn't raining, we found the metro and headed towards the Eiffel Tower. Camera's in hand, we ventured through a beautiful little park and were immediately satisfied with our decision to be the stereotypical tourists for the day, because, well, look:
 
After deciding, Ok Ok we have had enough of the Eiffel Tower, we saw some stairs that led towards this plaza, which seemed to give a pretty good view of the city. We finally reached the top of the plaza, and took yep you guessed it, more pictures of the Eiffel Tower. Because actually, you can never really have enough of it.  
Later on in the day, we got some lunch at a cafe nearby. It was so picturesque and perfect. We sat outside, chatting and people watching and being Parisian, eating our fromage sandwiches.
We eventually found our way in the Jardin de Tuileries, a colorful garden with a nice path that takes you either to the Louvre Museum or towards the Arc de Triomphe. Before we decided on either destination, I had my first nutella crepe in the park. It was so gooooooooooood, I made a mental note to try and have one everyday!

We walked towards the Arc de Triomphe, got some cool pictures, then turned back around to spend some more time in the gardens and head towards the Louvre. We sat down, admiring the scenery and  feeling elated, when we noticed that the sky had turned into a magnificent shade of pink and purple, casting a magical glow on the water. Again, the feeling of being caught in a fairytale surrounded me, because everything was so new and exciting and blissful. Who was I to be sitting underneath this gorgeous pink sky, eating crepes and laughing with my best friend, in the most incredible city in the world?
                                                                                                                                                                                            The day came to a close as we toured the Louvre, then grabbed dinner at a local cafe by the hotel. The next three days flew by in a rainy whim, but I have chosen a group of pictures which I think truly encompass Paris...



Alas, my fairytale weekend came to an end. It was weird returning to the Madrid airport and getting that familiar feeling in your stomach, the one where you have just come back from an enjoyable trip and are overwhelmingly disappointed to be home. Except I wasn't back home, I was in Madrid, another incredible city. How spoiled we are...and how lucky.

Charles Dickens once said, "I cannot tell you what an immense impression Paris made upon me. It is the most extraordinary place in the World!"

So we are in agreement. There is nothing quite like Paris, my favorite city, my cherie amour.

1 comment: